Ingredients for Pudding
4oz Chopped Dates
7floz Hot Water
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
5oz Caster Sugar
6oz Self Raising Flour
Ingredients for Sauce
6oz Dark Muscavado Sugar
4floz Double Cream
- Mix the dates, bicarbonate of soda and hot water together in a bowl and leave to soak
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar
- Add one egg at a time, beating the mixture between each addition
- Blitz the date mixture in a food processor or smoothie blender
- Slowly add date mixture to the creamed butter, sugar and egg mix
- Sift in the flour, folding it in carefully each time
- Leave to sit once all the flour folded into the mix
- Line a square cake tin with some baking paper and grease with butter
- Return to your cake mix and continue to fold the mixture for a few minutes, getting as much air into the mix as possible
- Pour into tin and bake for 25 minutes
- Once out of the oven leave to cool while you make the sauce!
- Melt the butter in a thick bottomed saucepan
- Add the dark muscavado sugar and mix until there are hardly any lumps left
- Add the cream, mix in, and bring to the boil
- Cut a square of your cake, pour over some of the sauce, and enjoy!
Don’t be put off of the appearance of the mix mid-way through; it does get better!
When you take it out of the oven, test it by gently pushing on the top. If it springs back up it is ready; if it feels quite airy, it needs another 5 minutes in the oven.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top for a slightly lighter approach.